To be eligible for this service you must be registered on the electoral roll.
Nottingham City Council can collect various items of bulky waste for free such as furniture, white goods and mattresses from your home address as part of our waste collection service.
This service is for disposing of large items of household waste that either do not fit in the bin (e.g. furniture) or cannot be put out for your normal bin collection (e.g. a television).
These items must be kept covered and dry
Where one of these criteria is met, most things can be collected, but there are a few exceptions
We cannot collect the following items:
These items are hazardous and it is not safe for the collection teams if you dispose of them in this way
There are legal requirements around how tyres, batteries and asbestos are disposed of
Paint, pesticides and oil will leak in the vehicle and cause damage to the environment
You can take some of these items to your local tip at Redfield Road, Lenton
These items damage our machinery
This service is for large items of household waste that either do not fit in the bin (e.g. furniture) or cannot be put out for your normal bin collection (e.g. a television)
If the waste was made by a business, it must not be disposed of through this service
Smaller items of household waste, recycling and garden waste can be disposed of in your usual bin collections
These items must be kept covered
Please consider these alternatives to give unwanted items a new home as there are a number of charities and organisations that may be interested in second hand furniture and appliances if they are in good condition:
- British Heart Foundation can collect furniture and electrical items by filling in a web form on their website (look for "Book a free Collection")
- Freecycle is an online swap shop! Give your old furniture a second lease of life, as well as finding that item you have been looking everywhere for, for free!
- Recovered is a furniture social enterprise supporting the local community that welcomes donations of furniture in a reusable condition. Arrange a free collection using their online form. free collection using their online form
- Remar UK is a Nottingham based charity shop, Tel: 0115 924 4274
- Haven Housing Trust is a local charity providing supported accommodation for older homeless people in Nottingham, they also accept donations of good, clean furniture and household goods and arrange a free collection, Tel: 0115 985 6546
- Redfield Road Household Waste and Recycling Centre is a special facility in Nottingham where you can take your separated recycling, garden waste and household waste
Arrange a Collection by Phone
To arrange a collection by phone, please call our Contact Centre on 0115 915 2000
Please ensure your items are placed in your front garden (if adjacent to the highway and the nearest point of access) before 7am on the day your booking is made for.
If the front of your property is not close to the road, please let us know and we will arrange for your items to be collected from the back of your property. Please note this will only happen if your back garden is closer to the road and accessible by our vehicles.
If you do not have a front garden, please note that you can only leave a small quantity of items on the pavement. Items should not be put out before 7pm on the night before your collection. When doing so please ensure these do not cause an obstruction to pedestrians.
Please ensure items are safely and neatly presented at the edge of the property and any items that you do not want collecting are kept completely separate. The collection crew will only take the items listed when the booking was made.
Please consider that your items will be removed by two people so they must be small enough for them to carry together and no more than 6 foot in length, to fit into the vehicle.
We can only collect your items if the following criteria have been met, otherwise some or all of your items may not be collected:
- Any gates are left unlocked and our collection crew have access to your rubbish
- Only items listed when booking a collection will be collected by the crews
- Your items must be outside. Collection crews are not, under any circumstances, permitted to enter any property
- Branches, wood and laminate flooring are in pieces no more than 6ft long. They should be tied in bundles and have any sharp items (i.e. nails) removed. Small branches (less than 10cm in diameter) should go in your garden waste bin
- Soft furnishings that can soak up water such as mattresses, sofas, and armchairs must be covered and kept dry
- Glass and mirrors (including door panels) must be covered with cardboard and masking tape
- Microwaves should have the glass plates removed
- Fridges / freezers should have food removed and be defrosted
- If you are bagging waste please ensure you only use large, thick, bin liners to prevent them from ripping
Waste collection teams will visit each ward on a specific day each week. We collect white goods separately to other items, so different teams may collect your items at different times.
If you need to cancel your bulky waste collection, please follow the instructions in the confirmation email that you would have been sent when requesting the collection.
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...