Giving Notice of a Marriage or Civil Partnership

If you want to get married or form a civil partnership in England or Wales you must both give notice at the Register Office.

A Superintendent Registrar and Registrar, or an Authorised Person, needs to be present at all Marriages and Civil Partnerships, except those at a church belonging to the Church of England. It is therefore important that you make sure the Registrars are available before you confirm any other arrangements.

Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

This is a face to face interview with our Registration Team. Please ring in advance to book an appointment on 0115 841 5554.

The Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership is a legal statement which you must sign. If you plan to be married in the Church of England, you should see your local vicar who will arrange for the Banns of Marriage to be published, however, from the 2 March, if you are subject to Immigration Control you will need to give your notices of marriage at any Designated Register Office (e.g. Nottingham City) 

A Notice states the names, age, marital status, address, occupation and nationality of the people intending to marry or form a civil partnership. It also states the intended venue for the ceremony. 

Notices are displayed in the public notice book at the register office for 28 clear days. Only then can the 'Authorities for Marriage' or Civil Partnership 'Schedule' be issued- the Registration Officer will then discuss with you at your appointment- Your marriage cannot take place without them.

Couples subject to Immigration Control could have their notice period extended to 70 days if they are to be referred to the Immigration Team- The Registration Officer will hand you a leaflet explaining the next steps. You are therefore advised not to plan your marriage ceremony date until the 70 days have expired.

The  'Authorities for Marriage' or 'Schedule' are only valid for use in the venue stated, so it is vital that you are certain of the place in which you plan to be married or form a civil partnership at the time of giving your notice. If you need to change the venue after giving your notice you will be required to give fresh notices stating the new venue.

A Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership is valid for 12 months.

If you are not able to attend a church or Register Office because of long term or serious illness, you can be married at home or in hospital. The Registrars will be pleased to explain and advise further.

Notice of Marriage Costs

  • £35.00 per person or
  • £47.00 per person (if as a couple you are referred to the Home Office, under the referral and investigation scheme)

You Will Need

When you give your notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership, you should produce

  • Proof of your Identity/Nationality (Valid Passport, Travel Document or EEA Identity Card)
  • British Citizens only, if you do not have a valid passport, you may bring:
    • A UK birth certificate if you were born before 01/01/1983 plus evidence of your current name
    • If you were born on or after 01/01/1983 your full birth certificate plus evidence of your mother’s British nationality. For example, their passport or birth certificate in addition to evidence of your current name
  • Proof of Your address - Utility Bill (no older than 3 months) or Bank Statement (no older than 1 month) or Driving Licence or latest Council Tax Bill
  • For Couples under the Immigration Referral Scheme you will also each need a clear, recent Passport sized Photograph

Divorced persons are required to produce a decree absolute bearing an original court seal. If the divorce took place in a foreign country, the original document should be produced. Where the document is not in English a translation of the divorce document, which can be made by a friend or relative of the parties providing they add their name and address and certify it as a true and accurate translation, should be provided. Some foreign divorces require clearance from the Registrar General and the Superintendent Registrar can arrange this. From 01/11/2017 there will be fee for the consideration of a divorce / civil partnership dissolution document from outside of the British Isles. This is payable at the time of booking the appointment.

If you are a widow or widower, your late spouse's death certificate will be required and your previous marriage certificate may also be needed in certain circumstances.

Please Note: The Registration Officer cannot accept photocopies of any documents.

If either party is subject to Immigration Control and wish to marry in the UK please note that other documents may be required. Online guidance for non-EEA who wish to marry in the UK can be found at - https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/foreign-national

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...