REMOURBAN is a five year, European funded project which involves many partners across Europe working together to achieve a sustainable urban regeneration model leveraging the convergence of energy, mobility and ICT to transform European cities into Smart Cities
During 2016 and 2017, Nottingham City Council will be using over £3m of EU Smart City funding to help citizens of Sneinton to be warmer and healthier, to reduce their energy bills, and to reduce the carbon emissions of the city.
This project, REMOURBAN, is part of a programme of 5 cities around Europe trialling different urban regeneration models which could be replicated elsewhere in Nottingham and in other cities around the world. The council will gain valuable data to help us target future actions on fuel poverty and carbon emissions.
Actions under this project will include:
- Treating over 400 social and private houses in the Windmill Lane area with insulation measures to make them warmer and reduce energy bills
These actions will be delivered under the Greener HousiNG schemewww.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/greenerhousing
- Demonstrating an ultra-low energy standard on 9 houses (7 social, 2 private) so they will need almost no heating and exploring the replicability of this solution across the City
- Extending the district heating network to 94 dwellings, replacing their expensive and inefficient electric heating with a lower cost, low carbon alternative
- Piloting the concept of low temperature community heating which could allow Nottingham to roll out its low carbon heat from waste to many more domestic properties in the future, at a much lower cost to the City
- Introducing a delivery hub for parcels, with carbon neutral transport for the last mile, reducing air pollution in the area
- Other low carbon transport options are under consideration
- Testing innovative procurement and finance solutions which would make ultra-low energy standards achievable for more homes, without reliance on grant funding
For more information please go to the project website.
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...