Applying for schools
Children who reach age 4 between 01 September 2014 and 31 August 2015 will start school in September 2019.
Children who reach age 7 between 01 September 2011 and 31 August 2012 and are in year 2 at infant school will transfer to junior school in September 2019. Children in year 2 at primary will stay at that school until they are 11 and this information does not apply.
You still need to apply for a school place, even if:
- you already approached a school about a school place
- you have put your child’s name down at a school, or
- your child goes to a nursery with a linked infant or primary school
Applications Received By 15 January 2019
The national offer day for primary school applications is 16 April 2019.
If you applied online, you will receive an email on 16 April notifying you of the outcome of your application (unless you indicated on your application you do not want to receive the decision by email). A decision letter will be posted to those applicants who applied using a paper application form or indicated they did not want to receive the decision by email, on Monday, 16 April 2019 by second class post. Letters should be received by 18 or 19 April.
Please do not telephone or visit the School Admissions Team for your decision as these will not be given verbally, regardless of the circumstances.You must wait for your email or letter to arrive.
We will only reprint decision letters not received by Monday, 22 April 2019, so if you have not received your letter do not contact us for another copy until after 22 April.
Our telephones are extremely busy after national offer day, so please be patient if you are trying to contact us.
If your email states ‘not offered’ for a school ranked lower than the school your child has been offered a place at, the lower ranked school has been refused because it has been possible to offer a place at a school you ranked higher.
If your child has been offered a place at a school you did not name on your application, this is because it has not been possible to offer your child at place at any of the schools you named, so a place has been offered at an alternative school that still has places available.
You are strongly recommend not to decline the place offered to your child unless they have been offered a place in an alternative school. If you don’t accept the place offered your child may not have a school place for the 2019 to 2020 school year, leaving you liable to prosecution by the Education Welfare Service.
You can accept the place offered and decline it at a later date if your child is offered a place at an alternative school from the waiting list or as a result of any successful appeal or late application you may make.
You will be able to accept your offer by:
- Logging back into your online application
- Emailing us at email@example.com
- Returning the reply slip posted with your letter (if you applied using a paper application form)
- Telephoning us on 0115 841 5568
Please do not use more than one of these options as it is unnecessary and reduces the time our staff are available to provide help to parents and carers.
If your child has been refused a school place, you can appeal. You have 20 school days from the date of your decision letter or email to lodge an appeal (the deadline for applications is Tuesday 21 May 2019). Contact details of where to appeal can be found on our School Admission Appeals page.
If you have not been offered a place at your preferred school, your child has been refused a place as determined by the oversubscription criteria and/or infant class size legislation (see ‘Infant Refusal Information’ on our School Admission Appeals page).
In these circumstances your child will be put on the waiting list for the schools you ranked above that school that has been offered (until the end of the Autumn term 2019). All oversubscribed schools have to maintain a waiting list until the end of the Autumn term 2019.
For City community schools, waiting lists will be kept open until the 2020 summer half term and parents or carers will be contacted on a half termly basis to confirm that they wish their child’s name to remain on the waiting list. Other schools may also keep their waiting list open beyond the end of the Autumn term 2019. If you want your child to be placed on the waiting list for a school ranked lower than the school offered, you must email or write to the School Admissions Team to request this.
The closing date for applications was Tuesday, 15 January 2019. Applying after the deadline reduces your chances of getting a place at your preferred school, particularly if it is popular.
You can no longer use the Capita system to apply online, but you can still view any application you made prior to the closing date. Please contact the School Admissions Team on Tel: 0115 841 5568 for an application form.
Things you should consider can be found in the summary guide below:
- Fill in your application and name up to six infant or primary schools or up to three junior schools. This can include schools outside Nottingham City
- List the schools in order of preference, with your most preferred school listed first
- Do not name the same school more than once
- We strongly recommend that one of the schools on your application should be where you are sure that your child will meet one of the higher criteria for admissions. The admissions criteria for Nottingham City Primary schools and academies can be found in the Going to School in Nottingham 2019.20 Appendix 2 below
- If you are applying for a place at a Nottingham City church school or academy, you will also need to fill out a supplementary form at the same time as you make your application. For schools outside Nottingham City, check if you need to fill in a supplementary form
Considerations when applying for a place
Going to School in Nottingham
Make sure you read our 'Going to School in Nottingham booklet' to gather as much information as possible about the application process. Appendix 2 gives the admission criteria for all primary schools and academies in Nottingham City.
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...