Before you complete your application, you should consider which schools your child has a realistic chance of getting into as popular schools are often oversubscribed.
Find Your Local Schools
Below are a few ways to find and contact a local school:
- Use our interactive map to find your catchment primary school
- You can also use the map to research other city schools
- Then find out more about school transport and any pupil benefits which you may be entitled to
- You can also contact the School Admissions Team for help finding your local schools
We recommend that you always name your catchment school as one of your preferences. Secondary schools' catchment areas are not shown as not all Nottingham City secondary schools and academies use catchment areas.
You can also use the maps below to see schools in your local area at a glance:
For even more detailed school information or if you wish to search a wider area, you can use the Department for Education website
Find out About a School
You can find out more by:
- Visiting the school- most schools have open days or you can contact schools to arrange a visit
- Get a copy of the schools prospectus- many schools publish their prospectus on their website or you can contact schools individually to request one
- Read the school's most recent Ofsted report
- If your child has special educational needs (SEN) that cannot be met at a mainstream school, then you may need the support of the Special Educational Needs Service
- Think about how your child will get to and from school- it is your responsibility to make sure your child can get to and from school. For more information and advice please visit the School Transport page
- Read each school's admissions criteria and check which schools were oversubscribed last year. Individual school admission arrangements are on our website
- Some secondary schools offer specialist places such as for performing arts or technology and your child may need to take a test if you are applying for one of these places. Ask yourself whether your child has an aptitude for the subject being tested
If a school has a history of oversubscription and you do not meet the higher criteria then you are unlikely to be offered a place there. If you do want to apply for a place at a school that was oversubscribed last year, but you do not live in the school's catchment area, find out how many children who lived outside the catchment area were offered a place last year. Generally, the further away from the school you live, the less likely you are to be offered a place.
'Going to School in Nottingham'
We encourage all parents/carers to read through our information booklet above in order to gather as much information as possible about the application process. If you would prefer a paper copy of the booklet then you can contact the School Admissions Team
Contact the Choice Advice Service
The Choice Advice Service offer impartial guidance, support and information to any parent/carer choosing a school for their child. Parents may find the service particularly useful when their child is in Year 6 and moving on to secondary school.
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...