Education and Care Plans for SEND

This page provides information on areas of support, the statutory assessment process and Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), and their families.


Further information can be found on Nottingham City's Local Offer, which is a 'one stop shop' for information about services and support available to all children and young people with SEND, including education, leisure, social care and health services for ages 0 to 25.

Getting the Right Support

Nottingham City uses a graduated approach to additional services and support, and most children with SEND will have their needs met within the resources available to schools and colleges without the need for more specialist help.

The Local Offer website is a central point of information about services, support and activities for all children and young people with SEND.

Ask us (formerly the The Parent Partnership Service) provides independent advice and support for parents or carers of children with SEND.


In schools and colleges, the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) is responsible for planning provision for SEND. If you are concerned that your child may not be receiving the support they need, talk to their class teacher or the SENCO in the first instance. Working closely with school staff can often help address issues quickly and successfully.


The health needs of disabled children and young people are supported by the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). If you have any questions or concerns about your child's health, talk to your health visitor, school nurse or family doctor.

Social Care

Additional support from social care for disabled children and young people and their families may include adaptations and equipment, respite care or care in the home. If you think you or your child would benefit from help from social care, you can contact the Whole Life Disability Service.

Multi-agency Planning and Support - Common Assessment Framework (CAF)

In some cases, where children's needs are not being met by the support already in place, the Common Assessment Framework (CAF) may be used to bring all the professionals involved together and develop a coordinated plan to identify and meet your child's needs.

Statutory Assessment Request

If it becomes clear that your child's needs have not been fully identified, or they are not making progress despite getting good support over a period of time then you can request a statutory assessment for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) from the SEN service.The application form is a joint one and must be completed and signed by both the parent and the school. Schools or other professionals working with your family can also make a request for your child. Young people between 16 and 25 can request their own assessment. There are strict timelines that must be adhered to once a request for assessment is received by the SEN Service, which are outlined in our downloadable guide.

Statutory Assessment

The action plan from the PCR forms part of the information that is sent to a decision-making panel, which decides if a full statutory assessment is required.

You will be informed of the panel's decision whether or not to proceed with a full assessment.

If the panel decides a full assessment is required, you will receive more information about this process from the LA. 

Decision whether to issue an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

Following the statutory assessment, a decision will be made whether or not to issue an EHCP. You will be contacted about this decision. If the decision is to not issue an EHCP, you will be advised of your right to appeal.

If the decision is that an EHCP is required, you will be given the opportunity to comment on a draft EHCP and give your views about school or other placements, before the final EHCP is issued.

Education, Health and Care Plan

Only a very small percentage of children with SEND need an EHCP in order to get the right support and provision. An EHCP brings your child's education, health and social care needs into a single legal document. It will describe what outcomes we all want for your child, what support is needed to achieve these, who will provide the support and when it will be provided.

An EHCP can cover the age range from birth up to the time of leaving education (up to age 25 if necessary).

EHCPs are reviewed annually, using a person-centred process.

Personal Budgets

There may be opportunities for you to have more choice and control about the support received through the Personal Budget element of the plan. A member of staff will be able to talk to you about this, and about the different ways of receiving a personal budget, during the assessment process.

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...