Report misuse or problems

Rogue Landlord Problems

For problems with rogue landlords, such as rude behaviour or mismanagement, complete our report form below:


Report a problem with a private property

Completing this form should take around 5 minutes.

To complete this form you will need.

  • Your name and contact details
  • Details about the problem
  • Any photo evidence (optional)
  • Your landlords name, address and contacts information 
Report a problem with a private property

Neighbouring Property Problems

If your neighbours have problems affecting your home, such as overcrowding or infestation, complete the form below:

Report a problem with a neighbor's property

Eviction and Harassment Support

If you are a private tenant and your landlord wants you to leave your home they must follow a strict legal procedure. The type of procedure depends on the type of housing you accommodate:

Assured Shorthold tenancies:

  • your landlord must have given a 2 month notice
  • Must provide energy and gas certificate
  • Must provide a how to rent form
  • Protected deposit
  • Landlord cannot serve an eviction in the first four months of your tenancy

If the fixed term of the tenancy has not ended then your landlord can only evict you for certain reasons such as non-payment of rent, anti-social behaviour, or because there's a 'break clause' in your contract.

Excluded tenancy license:

  • If you have a resident landlord, or are a lodger, it is liked you are on an excluded tenancy or licence
  • Landlord can only apply a notice within the length of your payment period eg weekly payment is a weekly notice
  • the landlord is allowed to change the locks to your room, even if your belongings are still there, but they must give you them back

Assured and Regulated Tenancies:

  • a tenancy agreement that started before the 27 February 1997 then you may have an Assured Periodic Tenancy
  • landlord can provide a notice between 2 weeks to 2 months
  • for anyone with this kind of tenancy agreement it's important to get specialist advice, and important to remember that you have more rights to stay, not less

Non excluded Tenancy:

  • a non-excluded tenancy or licence agreement this means that you have permission to stay somewhere until proper notice is given in writing
  • Landlord can only apply a notice within the length of your payment period e.g. weekly payment is a weekly notice

Accelerated Possession:

This is quicker than a normal eviction, but the landlord can only do this under these circumstances:

  • You have an assured short hold tenancy or a statutory periodic tenancy
  • You have a written tenancy agreement
  • They have provided you with a notice to quit with a minimum of 2 months' notice
  • They haven't asked you to leave before the end of a fixed-term
  • They have grounds to evict you

Harassment and Illegal Evictions:

If your landlord is affecting your daily life or takes away your rights they could be guilty of harassment:

  • Act in a way that is likely to interfere with the peace or comfort of a tenant or anyone living with him or her
  • Persistently withdraw or withhold services for which the tenant has a reasonable need to live in the premises as a home

Houses in Multiple Occupation Licensing and Eviction

If you feel that you have been a victim of harassment or illegal eviction within a HMO then you should contact:

  • Nottingham City Councils Housing Aid service on 0115 876 3300
  • The Police