Parking and Vehicle Removal - FAQs

Here you will find answers to some frequently asked questions about parking, Penalty Charge Notices and vehicle removals.

Q. I've been issued with a "parking fine" - I had only gone for change. What can I do about it?

A. There is no obligation on the City Council to allow any time for motorists to obtain change for Pay and Display machines. The motorist should arrive equipped with change for the machines if he / she intends to park in these spaces. In practice our Civil Enforcement Officers carry out an observation for 5 minutes before issuing a Penalty Charge Notice. However, once the Notice has been issued, it will not be cancelled in the circumstances where the motorist had gone to obtain change and had taken longer than the observation period.

Q. My meeting / doctor's appointment / dental appointment over-ran and I've now received a parking fine because my pay and display ticket expired

A. Unfortunately the Penalty Charge Notice will not be cancelled in these circumstances. It is the motorist's responsibility to purchase enough time to cover the duration of the parking time required, allowing for any possible over-running of meetings or appointments. In these situations it is advisable to use a car park where payment is made upon return (like Trinity Square, Broadmarsh or Lace Market).

Q. I have been at a Wedding / Funeral and the service ran over the expected time

A. Only the official Wedding cars (i.e. the bridal party) are exempt. Any other wedding guests should park within the normal rules. Similarly only the official hearse and any other car provided by the funeral director are exempt. All other people attending the funeral should park within the normal rules.

Q. I lost track of time whilst I was shopping and now I've received a parking fine

A. Again, unfortunately the Penalty Charge Notice will not be cancelled in these circumstances. It is the motorist's responsibility to purchase enough time to cover the duration of the parking time required. It is important to make a note of the expiry time on your pay and display ticket and then keep a check of time, to make sure you do not over-run your paid for time.

Q. I'm a delivery driver - what about delivering to businesses in the City Centre?

A. Deliveries can be made within the Clear Zone before 10am and after 4:30pm. In most other areas (except where the streets are signed 'no loading') deliveries can be made at any time. However, if you are parked on yellow lines, or in pay and display bays, our Civil Enforcement Officers will expect to see loading / unloading activity at least every 5 minutes for saloon vehicles, estate cars and 4x4 vehicles with a period of 10 minutes being given to all other vehicles of greater size (e.g. large vans or a HGV).

Q. I was delivering to a business and have been issued a Penalty Charge. I thought I was allowed to unload on yellow lines or without buying a pay and display Ticket in parking bays

A. Unless there is a loading ban (marked by lines across the kerb as well as parallel with the kerb), loading / unloading is permitted. However, the Civil Enforcement Officer must see loading activity happening. If your vehicle was left unattended for more than the times shown (above), it is unlikely that the Penalty Charge Notice will be cancelled - unless you can prove that the goods were heavy or bulky that it would reasonably take longer than these times to take them to the relevant place. In any event, delivery documents will need to be produced to enable us to consider whether the Penalty Charge Notice can be cancelled.

Q. Surely, there must be a right of appeal against a Penalty Charge Notice?

A. Yes there is a right of appeal. The Traffic Management Act 2004 sets out grounds on which you can make a Representation to the Local Authority. These are shown below:

  • The recipient had never owned the vehicle
  • The recipient had ceased to be its owner before the date on which the alleged contravention occurred
  • The recipient became its owner after the date on which the alleged contravention occurred
  • The alleged contravention did not occur
  • The vehicle was stolen at the time of the offence (documentary proof from the police will be required) 
  • The relevant Traffic Regulation Order is invalid
  • The owner of the vehicle is a Hire firm and the hirer has signed a statement of liability for any Penalty Charge Notices (in this case the hirer will be held to be liable and the city council will proceed against the hirer)
  • The amount of the Penalty Charge exceeds the appropriate amount (in practice this has been correctly approved by the Council and the Department of Transport, so any challenge is unlikely to be successful)
  • There has been a procedural impropriety by the enforcement Authority
  • The Notice to owner should not have been served because the Penalty Charge Notice had already been paid

The Council may consider mitigating circumstances, although the following reasons will not normally be accepted:

"I could not find anywhere else to park"
"I went to get change for the meter"
"I only stopped for a minute"
"I thought I was legally parked but I made a mistake"
"I lent the car to a friend and he will not pay the ticket"
"This is too much money for a parking contravention"
"There was no need for a yellow line anyway"
"I am not the owner / keeper because I hired / leased the vehicle"

Q. What happens to all the money collected by the Council from parking Penalty Charge Notices?

A. Most of the income from Penalty Charge Notices is used to pay for the costs of enforcement. These include the costs of employing the Civil Enforcement Officers, the administration staff, maintenance of highway signs and lines and other associated costs. Any surplus after the costs have been paid, has to be used towards the improvement of on-street or off-street parking facilities, measures to improve public transport or other highway associated improvements.

The council is a member of the Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee. The Joint Committee's draft accounts for 2008/09 and the notice in respect of the exercise of electors' rights are available at http://www.patrol-uk.info/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=38

Q. Does Nottingham City Council operate a specific policy on parking enforcement?

A. Nottingham City Council does operate a policy on the enforcement of decriminalised parking, which has been approved by the portfolio holder for Planning and Transportation.

Q. I own a motorcycle, what parking facilities are available to me?

A. Facilities for parking a motorcycle are available both off-street in City Council owned and run car parks and on-street in motorcycle and pay and display bays.


Trinity Square and Lace Market car parks:

Broadmarsh car parks all provide facilities for motorcycle parking. Click relevant car park for further information and prices.


There are several on-street motorcycle parking bays situated in Nottingham City Centre. Parking in these bays is free of charge for an unlimited period of time. The bays are situated in the following streets:-

  • Kent Street
  • Convent Street
  • Wollaton Street
  • Mount Street
  • Hounds Gate
  • Castle Road

Motorcyclists may also use any other pay and display parking bays free of charge for an unlimited period of time.

In residential parking areas, motorcyclists can park if in possession of a valid permit, but please park sensibly, preferably not taking up the whole length of a bay area.

Motorcyclists must adhere to the restrictions in limited waiting bays and cannot park on double or single yellow lines, in taxi ranks, bus stops, disabled or loading bays.

Q. Why are parked vehicles sometimes removed and what can I do if it happens to me?

A. Motorists should be aware that illegally parked vehicles may be subject to removal where it will be taken to the Nottingham City Council vehicle pound.

The release fee is £105, in addition to the Penalty Charge.  Storage fees are also charged if the vehicle is left at the pound more than 24 hours (£12 per day). Please note under normal operating policies a vehicle will not be released until the full outstanding balance has been paid.

Payments can be made by credit/debit card in person at the vehicle pound using Chip and Pin. Please note that cash will only be accepted outside of normal office hours  (8:30am to 4:50pm).

Citizens wishing to collect their vehicle must have, in addition to key to the vehicle (which must open it), two of the following forms of identification:

  • Passport
  • Driving License
  • Vehicle Registration Documents
  • A Recent Utility Bill (dated within the last 3 months)
  • Bank Statement

Open times for Vehicle collection are as follows

Monday to Friday 7:30am to 6pm

Saturday 9:30am to 4pm

Sunday  Closed

Please be aware that opening times may vary and in particular on Bank Holidays or Public Holidays. It is therefore advisable for those collecting a vehicle to contact the vehicle pound using the number below.

Nottingham Vehicle Pound
Unit 8 Vision Business Centre
Firth Way

Tel: 0115 876 1861    

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...