Home Information for Residents Benefits Welfare Rights Service Nottingham City Welfare Rights Services during the COVID-19 outbreak

Telephone lines

Our telephone lines will be open as usual (8.30am to 16:50pm) and we are still operating our telephone duty service as normal.  You can contact us in the usual way via:

email: welfarerights@nottinghamcity.gov.uk

or 0115 9151355. This service should not be directly affected at present.


We will still be carrying out our appointments as usual, but they will be via the telephone and not face to face appointments to minimise the risk of the spread of the virus. 


Nottingham City Council have issued instructions to all staff to work from home if they can.  We are therefore moving all of our operations to home working with only limited time for a few workers in the office and this is only for very limited periods and only once per week at present. The Bulwell Riverside Ask Here desk is closed from 20th March, so citizens will no longer be able to drop off any documents here.  We have made arrangements to send and receive post although this may take a little longer to receive and respond to as we are minimising the time our administrative staff are in the office on a very strict basis.

Home visits

These are suspended at present due to the risk that these pose. We will work flexibly to ensure that those who need a home visit still get advice via the phone.

For citizens with existing cases

Citizens will continue with the same caseworker who will contact them directly to give further instructions on how to contact them via mobile and/or email. The main office number of 0115 915 1355 can still be used to get in touch with Welfare Rights Officers.

We are working hard to find flexible solutions to any problems as they arise and also trying to work creatively, so the same service can be provided but by different means.

Appeal Tribunals

If citizens have a tribunal date pending and have asked to attend a hearing in person their welfare rights officer will be in touch in respect of this. The majority of hearings  are currently being heard via telephone hearings or heard on the papers.  If a citizen has a query about their appeal they need to speak to their caseworker who will explain their options to them.

For more information and support regarding money and debt advice during COVID-19 please visit our Commonly Asked Questions webpage.