Landlords planning to do work on properties need to make sure that the people employed are properly qualified for the job. It’s important to let tenants have fair notice about what’s going to be done and when.

Electrical Safety

Only a properly qualified person should do electrical work, and the work must be up to the IEE Wiring Regulations.

Various schemes exist including NAPIT, NIC/EIC, ECA or any others listed

If someone’s working in the bathrooms or kitchens or putting in new installations, alteration or additions to circuits, then they need a certificate.

Either an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) or a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (MEIWC).

Landlords should keep the certification somewhere safe because it will be needed by the Council’s Safer Housing team when looking at whether to issue a licence to rent.

Gas Safety

Any work on gas appliances has to be carried out by a Gas Safe contractor following the necessary safety rules. 

You can check if a contractor is registered on the gas safe website

Certificates should always be looked after because Safer Housing will need them for licence applications.

Although the Council doesn’t take action directly we do refer on to the Health and Safety Executive for more formal action when there are problems with non-compliance.

Work to Windows

If work is done replacing windows, it should be by someone registered under the Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme (FENSA). Or they need to get a certificate from the Council’s Building Control which confirms that the work satisfies building regulation. Once again a copy of the certificate needs to be kept, as we may need to see it.

General Information

It also needs to be remembered that if tenants stay in the home while the works are going on, it’s a requirement that every effort is made to minimise the disruption of tenants’ quiet enjoyment.

If a tenant is staying in their home while work is done, hallways and common areas need to be kept as clear as possible, and utilities should still be available. But if the work is so disruptive that a tenant can’t live in their home then somewhere else should be provided because a tenant is entitled to compensation if they haven’t been able to use their home or even part of it.

And once work on the home is done it should be left clean and tidy.

NB, When it comes to an older building that may contain asbestos there should be a properly qualified risk assessment before work starts. The public should never be exposed to asbestos fibres.

You can check here to see if a landlord needs to get planning permission or building regulations approval before works start at a property.

Remember there are 4 different standards and processes, and all have to be met:

  • Planning permission
  • Building regulations approval
  • Licence for the property, and
  • Compliance with HHSRS

All works have to meet Building Regulations standards, British Standards, or any other relevant Acts or Statutes.

You can find trusted traders here.

We are unable to offer legal advice in these matters and any information on these pages does not constitute legal advice. For up to date information and guidance please visit GOV.UK.