Problems affecting online services | We currently have a problem that's making it difficult for some online services to send emails. Our team is working on fixing this issue, and we hope to have it resolved as soon as possible. We're sorry for any trouble this may have caused.

Contacting Licensing/Taxi Licensing | CONTACT: The Taxi and General Licensing Department currently are not accepting and monitoring phone calls or voicemail messages. For General Licensing queries relating Licensing Act 2003, Gambling Act 2005 and Regulatory and Miscellaneous Provisions please contact For Taxi Licensing related enquiries please contact Please avoid duplicating your emails, your email will be responded to as soon as possible. PAYMENTS: As of 1st April 2023 the Licensing Authority will not be accepting cheques as a form of payment. If the application is made online by the .GOV application service then the payment shall be made at that time. Should you make an application by email or post then you must provide a relevant contact number in order for payment to be taken over the phone.

Every scrap metal dealer is required to have a licence, and operating without one will be a criminal offence. The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 came into force on 1 October and replaces the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and the Motor Salvage Operators Regulations 2002.

The licensing council must not issue or renew a scrap metal licence unless it is satisfied that the applicant is a suitable person to carry on business as a scrap metal dealer


Anyone registering as a scrap metal dealer is also required to obtain a Waste Carriers Licence from the Environment AgencyOpens new window.

If you intend to use a vehicle to transport the material, a copy of the Waste Carrier Licence is required with your application. 

Changes for Scrap Metal Dealers

Legislation for Scrap Metal Dealers repeals the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and Part 1 of the Vehicles (Crime) Act 2001, creating a revised regulatory regime for the scrap metal recycling and vehicle dismantling industries in England and Wales.

There are two types of scrap metal licences and these are defined as follows:

  • A site licence for premises used by you in the City of Nottingham during the course of your business as a scrap metal dealer (the licence may identify more than one site (premises) so long as they are within our district)
  • A collectors licence for mobile collectors - those who are not operating from a Site in the City but who collects scrap metal by means of visits from door to door

A person may only hold one type of licence issued by this authority but you may also hold, or require a licence from other authorities depending on where the collection of scrap metal takes place. 


Tradespersons will not be required to be licensed as a scrap metal dealer if buying or selling scrap metal is an incidental function of their business  (e.g. being a plumber or electrician).