Skip to main content

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly - or twice a month for some people in Scotland.

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.


You can find out more about Universal Credit on the Government’s website, including checking eligibility here.

What Universal Credit is

Information to claim

To apply for Universal Credit you must have the following:

  • Your bank, building society or credit union account details (call the Universal Credit helpline if you do not have one)
  • Your email address
  • A National Insurance number
  • Information about your housing, for example, how much rent they pay
  • Details of your income, for example, payslips
  • Details of savings and any investments, like shares or a property
  • Details of how much you pay for childcare if they’re applying for help with childcare costs

They will also need to have some proof of identity to verify who they are online, for example, they could use the following:

  • Driving licence
  • Passport
  • Debit or credit card

Support and advice

If you  are receiving Universal Credit, you can get access to a computer at your local library. 

Find your Local Library

Nottingham City Council’s Welfare Rights Service can give advice and guidance. - Visit: Welfare Rights Service 

Advice Nottingham Offers Free advice and guidance, a consortium of six advice agencies based in Nottingham City.

  • Visit or call Citizens Advice Nottingham and District on 0300 330 5457 for more information.

Related pages

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.