Skip to main content

Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

If you want to get married or form a civil partnership in England or Wales you must both give notice at the Register Office. 

A Superintendent Registrar and Registrar, or an Authorised Person, needs to be present at all Marriages and Civil Partnerships, except those at a church belonging to the Church of England.

You must make sure the Registrars are available before you confirm any other arrangements.

To give notice of a married or civil partnership please contact us to arrange an appointment. This is a face to face interview with our Registration Team. 

When you give your notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership, you should produce:

  • Proof of your Identity or Nationality (Valid Passport or Travel Document)

British Citizens only, if you do not have a valid passport, you may bring:

  • A UK birth certificate if you were born before 01/01/1983 plus evidence of your current name
  • If you were born on or after 01/01/1983 your full birth certificate plus evidence of your mother’s British nationality
  • Proof of Your address, Utility Bill (no older than 3 months) or Bank Statement (no older than 1 month) or Driving Licence or latest Council Tax Bill

Immigration Referral Scheme

For Couples under the Immigration Referral Scheme you will also each need a clear, recent Passport sized Photograph

EEA or Other Nationals with settled, pre-settled or pending applications to the European Union Settlement Scheme will need to provide evidence and your 'share code' for Registrars to check the GOV.UK website.

The Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership is a legal statement which you sign. If you plan to be married in the Church of England, you should see your local vicar.

However, if you are subject to Immigration Control you will need to give your notices of marriage together at the  Register Office in the local authority district that one of you live in.

Notices are displayed in the public notice book at the register office for 28 clear days. Only then can the Marriage' or Civil Partnership 'Schedule' be issued.

The Registration Officer will then discuss with you at your appointment. Your marriage cannot take place without them.

If you are subject to Immigration Control you could have your notice extended to 70 days if referred to the Immigration Team. The Registration Officer will hand you a leaflet explaining the next steps. You are advised not to plan your marriage ceremony date until the 70 days have expired.

  • The 'Schedule' is only valid for use in the venue of the wedding or partnership.
  • You must be certain of the place in which you plan to be married or form a civil partnership at the time of giving your notice.
  • If you need to change the venue after giving your notice you will need to give fresh notices stating the new venue.
  • If you are not able to attend a church or Register Office because of a long term or serious illness, you can be married at home or in the hospital. The Registrars can explain and advise further.


  • £42 per person or
  • £57 per person (if as a couple you are referred to the Home Office, under the referral and investigation scheme)

Divorced persons

Divorced persons are required to produce a decree absolute bearing an original court seal.

If the divorce took place in a foreign country, the original document should be produced. 

Some foreign divorces require clearance from the Registrar  There is a fee for the consideration of a divorce or civil partnership divorce document from outside the British Isles. This is payable at the time of booking the appointment.

Widow or widower

If you are a widow or widower, your late spouse's death certificate will be required, and your previous marriage certificate may also be needed in certain circumstances.

Please Note: The Registration Officer cannot accept photocopies of any documents.

If either party is subject to Immigration Control and wish to marry in the UK please note that other documents may be required.

Contact us

The Register Office
The Council House
Old Market Square

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm

Tel: 01158415554

Contact Us Online

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.