Skip to main content

Power of Attorney

If you care for someone, you may need to manage their affairs at some point. Power of Attorney is a way to protect people who are 16 years or older and unable to make certain decisions for themselves. This could be because of learning disabilities, mental health issues, or illnesses such as dementia.

Power of Attorney allows a person to choose someone to manage their finances and property if they become unable to do so. It also allows the person to make health and welfare decisions on their behalf.

Property and Financial Affairs LPA

You choose people you trust to make decisions on your behalf about money and financial matters, including:

  • Opening, closing and using your bank or building society accounts
  • Claiming, receiving and using your benefits, pensions and allowances
  • Paying household and other bills
  • Buying and selling your house and other property

Health and Welfare LPA

You choose people you trust to make decisions on your behalf about things such as

  • Giving or refusing consent to particular types of health care, including medical treatment.
  • You are staying in your own home and getting help and support from social services
  • Whether you move into residential care and find a good care home
  • Day-to-day matters such as your diet, dress or daily routine

You may wish to either have one type of LPA or both (Property and finance and health and welfare), and you can choose to have more than one or more people to act as `Attorneys.`

You can find more information on our Lasting Power of Attorney Factsheet by downloading the following PDF.

Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)

You can find help and support, as well as information to download and online 

You can download the forms to create, register, object or disclaim a lasting power of attorney online by visiting:

Making Decisions on Behalf of Someone Else

If you need to make decisions for someone who has lost their mental capacity and there is not a Lasting Power of Attorney in place, you can apply to the Court of Protection to appoint someone as a 'Deputy'. A Deputy will be someone who knows the person well.

For more information on becoming a Deputy see our Making Decisions on Behalf of Someone Else Factsheet by clicking and downloading the following PDF

Appointee services

An appointee will look after your finances should you become unable to manage them yourself and have no family or friends that can help.

It may be possible for the council to become your appointee and administer your finances if you:

  • Are receiving social care services such as home care, day care or a support worker
  • Live in a residential or nursing home care and receive benefits

How do I apply?

  • Adult Residential Services - If you are in residential care, you can request Adult Residential Services to become your appointee, your benefits will be used to pay your care charges and you will be paid the standard amount of personal allowance each week (this will vary depending on your benefits and whether you have a deferred payment agreement).
  • Family, Friends, Associates - If you are not eligible a relative, friend or associate can apply to Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to become your Appointee.

Related pages

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.