Skip to main content

Care homes, sheltered housing and supported living

If you or a loved one is struggling with everyday tasks or has been living independently and now is struggling or can not live at home safely, then it may be time to think about moving into a care home.

So, if you are:

  • Struggling to live alone even with support from friends, family or paid carers
  • Have a complex medical condition or disability that needs specialist attention
  • Have been told this is the best option after a social needs assessment

Then, a residential or nursing home is the best option as they can provide the facilities and support they need.

Benefits of residential care homes:

  • 24-hour support from staff
  • Help with  essentials like bathing, dressing, hygiene
  • Meals and activities
  • Providing care needed both physically and emotionally.
  • We will work with you to keep you as independent as possible for as long as possible,
  • Homes are designed to feel like a home from home and can meet various needs, including those of people with dementia or learning disabilities.

Nottingham City Council Care Homes

Nottingham City Council operates two residential homes for older people; you can find out what facilities are on offer at different residential homes by clicking on their webpage:

To browse a list of Care Homes available in Nottingham, please visit

Supported Living

Supported living is a type of residential care that provides assistance to individuals with disabilities, enabling them to live as independently as possible. This type of care focuses on empowering individuals to make their own choices and control their lives. Support is provided based on the individual's needs and can include help with daily living activities, such as cooking, cleaning, and personal care.

Independent living communities (sheltered housing)

We have independent living communities (private housing) in most areas of the city. The communities consist of self-contained homes, each with their own front door. There are one and two-bedroom flats and bungalows.


Nottingham Health & Care Point

If you need advice on where to get help and support, including what's available on care, disability, stroke, nursing services, community services, speech and others. Then, by Calling the Health and Care Point, you will speak to someone trained in health and social care. In that case, they will understand the call and know where to get help if they can't resolve it themselves.

If your query or concern is urgent and is outside of these hours, please call the Emergency Duty Team on 0115 876 1000

Financial assistance towards residential care

The costs of residential homes vary, often depending on the type of facilities provided and the amount and type of care you need. If you require a nursing home to meet your nursing needs, you may be entitled to a contribution from the NHS regardless of your income or savings. This would be paid directly to the nursing home.

For more information about financing care, please see our section on Paying for care services

Was this page helpful?

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.