Here you will find information on Multi-Occupied Residential Buildings and the Joint Audit and Inspection Team, who work to ensure these buildings have the proper safety precautions in place.

What are Tall Buildings and Multi-Occupied Residential Buildings (MORBs)?

The Government says that all buildings over 18 metres are high-rise.

Nottingham City Council (NCC) and Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service (NFRS) were the first to work jointly to inspect MORBs, and the team not only looked at high-rise buildings but also looked at all buildings that consist of 11 flats or more. 484 buildings in total were identified in the city; future new build buildings will also be added to this list for inspection and audit.

What is the Joint Audit and Inspection Team (JAIT)?

The JAIT team is made up of officers from NCC, including Environmental Health and Enforcement Officers, as well as Fire Safety Inspectors from NFRS.

The role of the team is to audit and inspect, and to ensure the safety of Multi-Occupied Residential Buildings (MORBs) in Nottingham City. Both authorities use their statutory duties under the Housing Act 2004 and the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 to ensure buildings are made safe, if any issues are found.

The team was set up after the Grenfell Tower tragedy and after a national independent review of building regulations and fire safety was commissioned by the Government, this included local findings here in Nottingham.   

What does a JAIT inspection look like?

The inspections are carried out by a qualified Fire Safety Inspector from NFRS and an Environmental Health or Enforcement Officer from NCC.

The person or company responsible for a multi-occupied building will be notified that the JAIT is going to inspect by either a letter or email and will be given at least one week’s notice before the team arrive, sooner if mutually agreed or in urgent/emergency situations. 

* Please note, this is not the full inspection and audit list, but it will give you an idea of what is looked at.

There have been a number of common issues found within buildings, including but not limited to issues with:

  • Testing certificates and service records – Fire Alarm, Emergency Lighting, Fire Fighting Lift(s), Ventilation, Sprinklers, Wet/Dry Riser
  • Type of fire risk assessment completed
  • Cladding system and report
  • Compartmentation and fire stopping
  • Fire alarm coverage, system type and justification 
  • Fire doors – intumescent strips & seals
  • Poor housekeeping
  • Combustibles in common areas – notice boards, door mats etc.
  • Emergency exit signage
  • Fire Service access & premises information

We would encourage all building owners to ensure their risk assessment covers these areas and that they are aware of the state of these matters within their buildings. 

What should I expect after an inspection?

After an inspection, the responsible person or company will be notified of the outcome. This will be in writing by letter with an accompanying report listing defects found and the appropriate remedies. However, in rare circumstances, it may be in the form of a formal Notice if the seriousness of fire safety defects warrants it.


Engagement Events and contacting the team

NFRS and NCC will be holding a number of engagement events for building owners, responsible persons and those involved in the development of premises across the city.  Further details will be published here when available. 

If you would like to be added to a mailing list or would like to contact the team in general, then please email them at JIT NCC

Housing Act 2004 - You can find the Housing Act 2004 here. Visit:  Housing Act 2004 (

Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 - You can find the Regulatory Reform Order here. Visit: The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (

National Fire Chiefs Council - You can find information from the National Fire Chiefs Council on Protection and Building safety here. Visit: Protection Guidance (

Business Fire Safety - You can get information from Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service on Business Safety here. Visit: Supporting business - Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service (

Building Safety Programme (BSP) - The Government Building Safety Programme (BSP), which makes regular announcements and issues advice and guidance. Building owners and managers should be aware of the information produced by the BSP and take the actions required.  Visit: Building Safety Programme - GOV.UK (

Advice for Tenants and Residents - Advice for residents and tenants from the National Fire Chiefs Council and the MHCLG. Fire safety of your building: advice for tenants and residents - GOV.UK (