Facebook Pixel
Commissioners appointed |

The Government has announced that Commissioners are to be appointed for Nottingham City Council.  For further information, the council’s response and FAQs can be read here.

Home Information for Residents Housing Supported Housing Improvement Programme (SHIP)

Supported Housing Improvement Programme (SHIP)

Nottingham City Council has been awarded funding from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) to take part in the Supported Housing Improvement Programme.

The aim of the programme is to improve standards where required, ensure the Local Authority is receiving value for money and to share and promote good practice within the supported housing sector.

You can find out more about the programme here

In Nottingham, the work of the programme will be undertaken by The Supported Housing Hub Team. The team will review the quality of non-commissioned supported accommodation by carrying out proactive property inspections and face to face resident support reviews. Our aim is to work collaboratively with providers and tenants to ensure that supported accommodation is:

  • Safe and appropriate, whilst being free from significant hazards
  • That tenant support is being delivered to a high standard
  • That support is sufficient for residents to qualify for Housing Benefit

You can find out more about the standard of accommodation and support you will be expected to provide in the Local Good Practice Standards Guide and the National statement of expectations available here: 


If you are a landlord providing supported accommodation for the first time, or you are an existing provider looking to deliver supported housing at a new address, you will need to provide some information about your scheme.

Where your residents will be relying on Housing Benefit to pay their rent, you will need to complete the landlord form and return this to the supported accommodation Hub Team at  sea@nottinghamcitycouncil.gov.uk

Once your form has been considered you will be asked to provide further information to be able to decide if your residents qualify for Housing Benefit. A desktop review of paperwork will be undertaken alongside a visit to the property where we will need to speak to residents and whoever is managing the property. 

The Department for Work and Pensions says that in order for Housing Benefit to be paid, the following support conditions must be satisfied 

  • There must be a genuine need for residents to receive support along with their housing. This need should exist throughout the period of residency.
  • The need for support should have been assessed and agreed by a qualified person or organisation. A private sector voluntary organisation landlord providing support following their own assessment of need would not be acceptable
  • Support must be provided to a level that is sufficient to meet your residents needs
  • Landlords should be able to demonstrate that they have sufficient, identifiable funds to be able to provide the support. The costs of providing support cannot be paid via the Housing Benefit scheme.


If you are living in supported accommodation you may want to make a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Universal Credit. Information about making a claim can be found here

Useful information

If you would like to report an incidence of anti-social behaviour you can do this here:

If you are worried about an adult you can find further information here: