Skip to main content

Registering as a student in Nottingham 

If you haven't registered to vote in Nottingham before, please think about doing so as you settle into life at the University by registering on the government website

Annual Canvass form

If you are a student living in Nottingham, you still need to respond to the Canvass Form (CF) sent to your term-time address by clicking here, The household update service (, if the information on the form is incorrect or incomplete. This applies even if you are an international student or you are already registered to vote at your home address.

You could receive a fine of up to £1,000 if we do not receive a CF response for your property.

As students, you are eligible to be registered at both your home and term-time addresses. However, you can only vote from one location at national elections. 

Please remove the details of any individuals on the CF who are no longer living at the address and add the names of those currently living at the address.

All new residents should then go online to register to vote - GOV.UK (, to register to vote at their term-time address. Make sure that you put that your Nottingham address is your ‘second home’ so that you are not removed from your home address.

It only takes five minutes and you will need your National Insurance number. Anyone who is added to the CF and does not register online will receive an Invitation to Register (ITR) form through the post, which you must respond to.

If you are not registered, you can't vote.

The electoral register is also used in credit referencing when buying some items, such as mobile phones, or opening a bank account. Some employers also check credit references.

If you're British, or a Commonwealth or Republic of Ireland citizen you are entitled to register to vote in all elections in Britain.

Citizens of European Union states are entitled to register to vote in local and European elections. Find out more about who is eligible to vote here:

That's great, though it is worth checking that you still are.

You are entitled to be registered at home and your university address. At local council elections, you can vote both here in Nottingham and at your permanent residence.

Not all councils hold elections at the same time, but if that is the case, registering for a postal vote at one of the addresses will make it easier to vote in both areas.

You must still register even if you’re not interested in voting.

If your home and university addresses are in two different local authority areas, you can vote in local elections in both areas.

However, even if you are registered in two areas (at home and university) you can only vote in one at a general election.

It is a criminal offence to vote twice in a UK general election.

Further information about registering to vote as a student can be found on the Electoral Commission's website by clicking here, Students | Electoral Commission.

If you don’t have a National Insurance number, don’t worry! There are other ways that we can check your identity.

Just get in touch with us by sending an email to Electoral Services.

Contact us

Electoral Services
Loxley House
Station Street

Tel: 0115 876 4111

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.