Skip to main content

Licence for Selling Alcohol

Personal Licence

Nottingham City Council's guidance on obtaining a Personal Licence for selling alcohol. This process ensures that your venture is compliant, authorised, and legally equipped to sell or supply alcohol on licensed premises.

Why Obtain a Personal Licence?

If you intend to sell or supply alcohol on licensed premises or frequently apply for temporary event notices, obtaining a personal licence is essential. A personal licence allows the holder to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol at all venues with a premises licence in Nottingham. Importantly, this authorisation remains valid indefinitely.

Who Needs a Personal Licence?

Individuals who want to engage in the following activities must obtain a personal licence:

  • Selling Alcohol: If you plan to sell alcohol, a personal licence is mandatory.
  • Late-Night Refreshments: Providing late-night refreshments from a specific venue in Nottingham also requires a personal licence.

The types of businesses and organisations that need alcohol licences might include:

  • Pubs and bars
  • Cinemas
  • Theatres
  • Nightclubs
  • Late-opening cafés
  • Takeaways
  • Village and community halls
  • Supermarkets
  • Entertainment of a similar description to that falling within, an exhibition of a film, playing of recorded music and the performance of dance, live music, play, also any boxing or indoor sports events

Additionally, qualifying members’ clubs (such as the Royal British Legion, working men’s clubs, and rugby clubs) must apply for a club premises certificate if they plan to sell or supply alcohol.

Before applying please read the guidance notes at bottom of below thoroughly.

How to Apply

Completing this service should take around 20 minutes.

To complete this service you will need.

  • Two photographs. One of which is endorsed as a true likeness of me by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification
  • Any licensing qualification you hold or proof that you are a person of a prescribed description
  • A criminal conviction certificate or a criminal record certificate, or the results of a subject access search of the police national computer by the National Identification Service
  • A completed disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration form (Schedule 2)
  • Proof of my right to work in the United Kingdom or my share code issued by the Home Office online right-to-work checking service (see note 2)
  • Payment (evidence) of the fee for the application

To Apply

Click below and download the application; once complete, return to Commercial and Operations Licensing.


  • Application for a grant of a personal licence of £37.00
  • Application following theft, loss etc., of personal licence £10.50
  • Notification of change of name and address of personal licence holder £10.50
Personal Licence Application (doc)

Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) plays a crucial role in licenced premises within the UK. Here are the key points:

  1. Responsibilities of the DPS:

    • The DPS oversees the sale and supply of alcohol.
    • Ensures compliance with the premises licence.
    • Provides training to staff regarding alcohol-related matters.
  2. Number of DPS:

    • While there can be multiple Personal Licence Holders, all premises can have only one DPS.
    • The DPS must also hold a Personal Licence.
  3. Consent Form:

  4. Changes to DPS:

    • If the current DPS leaves the premises, a variation of the licence is necessary.
    • The premises licence holder must apply for this variation.
    • The new DPS must provide signed consent, which should accompany the application.
  5. Guidance Notes:

    • Before applying, carefully review the guidance notes provided.

For more details, visit download our Premises Licensing - Vary DPS

Before applying please read the guidance notes below thoroughly.

Contact us

Licensing Manager
Humber Building
Eastcroft Depot
London Road

Contact Us Online
Was this page helpful?

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.