Self-build housing means that you are directly involved in organising the design and construction of your new home. Custom build usually means working with a specialist developer to help you deliver your home.

Gedling Borough Council is hosting Self-Build and Custom Build Registers on behalf of Broxtowe Borough Council, Erewash Borough Council, Nottingham City Council and Rushcliffe Borough Council. The register allows you to choose which area(s) you are interested in building in.

A map of each Council area can be viewed by clicking on the following links:

The Government wants to enable more people to build or commission their own home. Councils are required to keep a register of interested individuals and associations which will provide an indication of the demand for self/custom build locally.

The information held by the register will allow the Councils to develop their housing and planning policies to support build projects that would be most appropriate and also to explore how to bring people and plots together.  We shall use the information gathered to explore ways in which it may be possible to achieve this.

We will not pass identifiable information from the Register onto anyone outside the participating Councils without the written consent of the person who registered their details.

If you would like to register your interest, please read the guidance notes and complete the registration form.

By signing up you will help us find out more about the number and location of sites which are sought and the types of houses that people would like to build. Registration does not however guarantee that a suitable serviced plot will be identified or become available.

If a developer has a site or plot(s) available for people to build their own home, we can pass the information from a developer to those on the register.  As we are unable to share information of those on the register for data protection reasons, we can notify those on the register of a site’s availability in the area where they wish to build.

The Self Build Portal includes a range of advice on how to source self-build plots and can be found here.

The National Custom and Self Build Association toolkit includes a range of useful information and can be found here.

Help to Build is a new government equity loan for people who want to self-build or custom build their own home. Further details and guidance can be found on the Help to Build web page here.

Contact Us

Planning and Building Control
LH Box 5
Loxley House
Station Street
NG2 3NG 

Tel: 0115 876 4594

Is there anything wrong with this page?