How to register
You can register to vote online using the link below. You can also phone Electoral Services if you would like help registering.
Register to vote online
Completing this service should take around 5 minutes.Register to vote
Benefits of registering
- Being on the register is good for your credit rating.
- You can vote in elections and referendums you are eligible for, including Local Elections, Referendums and Parliamentary Elections.
- The electoral register is used to call people for jury service. Studies show that fewer young people and people from ethnic minorities register to vote. The result is that they are under-represented in the legal system.
Please note that being registered for Council Tax does not automatically put you on the register.
To be eligible for inclusion on the Register of Electors you must be:
- Over 18, or reach the age of 18 during the period in which the register is in force. (Eligible from aged 16 but will not appear on the Electoral Register until aged 18)
- A British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union Citizen, or citizen of a British Overseas Territory or British Crown Dependency
- Resident at the property you wish to register at on the date you apply
View the eligibility criteria for more details of who is eligible to vote.
If you want to check if you are registered to vote you can contact us on either
- Email Elections Nottingham City
- If emailing us to check if you are registered to vote please ensure you include your full name, date of birth and address in the email.
- Call 0115 876 4111.
Click here for information on Special Arrangements for Registering to vote.
Or you can contact Electoral Services for further information.
There is no way to change your address on the electoral register.
What you have to do, is complete a registration to vote at your new address. The quickest and easiest way to do is online by clicking here.
The registration asks if you have moved address in the last 12 months, so as long as you answer yes to this and provide your old address you will also be removed from the electoral register at your old address.
Changed your name?
If you have recently changed your name, we will need to see proof of the change in order to update your details on the electoral register.
Please contact us to inform us of your name change and we will advise the next steps in order to change your name on the electoral register