Skip to main content


Businesses, organisations and individuals intending to provide certain types of regulated entertainment are required to obtain a licence. This ensures compliance with regulations and contributes to a safe and enjoyable environment for all.

Types of Regulated Entertainment

The types of regulated entertainment include:

  • Provides recorded music, a performance of a play or a dance to an audience of more than 500 people,
  • An indoor sporting event to more than 1,000 spectators
  • Showing a film
  • Conducting boxing or wrestling events, whether indoors or outdoors.
  • Presenting live or recorded music performances.
  • Performance of play or dance
  • Offering entertainment between 11PM and 8AM;
  • Provides recorded music to an audience on premises not licensed for the sale or supply of alcohol;

Places Requiring a Licence

Regulated entertainment licences may be necessary for various establishments, including:

  • Shops, offices and factories
  • Hairdressers and beauty salons
  • Cinemas and theatres
  • Hotels and guesthouses
  • Restaurants, café, pubs, bars and nightclubs
  • Sports Grounds and Facilities (e.g., Bowling Alleys)
  • Gyms and other health facilities
  • Churches and halls
  • Public transport

Note: Qualifying members’ clubs (Royal British Legion, working men’s clubs, rugby clubs) must apply for a Club Premises Certificate if they plan to sell or supply alcohol.

Further information on Entertainment Licensing

Contact us

Licensing Manager
Humber Building
Eastcroft Depot
London Road

Contact Us Online
Was this page helpful?

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. If you need a response please contact us.