Facebook Pixel

What to do if you can't go home from the hospital because your home is unsuitable or you have no Home.

Tell the hospital staff immediately if you don't have a suitable home when leaving the hospital and face homelessness. Hospitals have a referral process for homeless or could be homeless patients. The discharge team will assess your situation and try to help. 

What will happen?

Whether you are being discharged from the hospital due to physical health, mental health or any other reason, we will assess your circumstances to see if we can assist you regarding your housing matter. Depending on your circumstances and needs, this assessment may take place in the hospital, so don’t worry if you are unable to attend our offices.

The discharge team should refer you to the Housing Advice Service. You can visit our Duty to Refer page via Duty to Refer.

What if I have a Home but is not suitable

Occupational Therapy

If you already have a home, but it needs to be adapted, the hospital team may refer you to the council's home improvement agency, which is responsible for adaptations or disabled facilities grants. 

Alternatively, you can refer yourself by contacting our Occupational Therapy team

Housing to Health

Housing to Health is a service aimed at improving links between housing and health in Nottingham.
It's a partnership between Nottingham City Homes and Nottingham City Care Partnership. It's aimed at helping to ease the strain on the health service by providing suitable homes to speed up a patient's discharge from the hospital or directing people at risk of being admitted to the hospital due to their poor living conditions into good quality homes. 

More Information can be found by clicking below

  • Citizen Advice - Getting help from social services if you're homeless - Citizens Advice
  • Housing Aid - If neither of the above options are suitable, you can contact Housing Aid
  • NHS - Being discharged from hospital - NHS (www.nhs.uk)
  • Gov.UK - Hospital discharge service guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)


Contact Us

Customer Hub
Loxley House
Trent Street


Tel: 01158763300

Is there anything wrong with this page?