Be a Nottingham Hero!
Effective recycling helps protect the area in which you live and tackle climate change. Use this information on how to recycle effectively to ensure your bin is continuously collected and is never contaminated with the wrong items.
Nottingham Recycles - Clean.Dry.Loose.
Many items can be put into your mixed recycling bin; make sure they are empty, rinsed and dry before putting them in your recycling bin.
- Catalogues and brochures
- Food and drink cans
- Plastic bottles
- Newspapers and magazines
- Cardboard (please break down cardboard into a manageable size and, where possible, place it in your bin)
- Large tins
- Plastic tubs, pots and trays
- Telephone directories
- Glass Bottles and Jars
Please make sure you DO NOT put the below items into your recycling bin:
- Bagged waste
- Foil-lined juice and milk cartons
- Paper Tissue
- Sticky labels
- Plastic carrier bags
- Cling film
- Light bulbs
- Window panes
Don't have a recycling bin?
You can order a recycling bin by filling in this form online. If you live in rented accommodation, you can order your bin or ask your landlord to call one for you.
Electrical items or Items that do not fit in your recycling bin:
You can recycle bigger items at the Household Waste & Recycling Centre or by booking a bulky waste collection.
- Book a Bulky Waste Collection - Nottingham City Council
- Click here to find out what you can take.to your Local Tip Waste and Recycling Centre
- Click here to find out more about our Household Waste Recycling Centre
If you want to recycle a small electrical item, drop it off at one of the local Tetrapak & Small Electrical Recycling drop-off points.
You can recycle your Household batteries conveniently by collecting them in a clear plastic bag, sealing the bag and placing it on top of your bin on bin day; this can be either your recycling bin or general rubbish bin.
How to get involved?
Follow us on
- Visit: Nottingham Recycles | Facebook
- Visit: Nottingham Recycles (@nottinghamrecycles) • Instagram photos and videos
If you have a passion for recycling and keeping the streets clean we would love to hear from you! Get involved with our Clean Champions here.
- Find out more on our Nottingham Clean Champions Page
For more information on where you can recycle go to
- Everything you need to know to Recycle More (recycle-more.co.uk) and fill in your postcode in the bank locator. This will provide you with a list and map of all your local recycling sites and what can be taken there.
- Garden waste collections will be on the same day as your recycling bin but at a different time.
- Your bin should only be put out after 7pm on the night before your collection and taken back in before 7pm once your bin has been emptied
- Please do not put your bin out more than eight hours before collection, and bring it in no more than eight hours after it has been emptied
- Wheeled bins can be used as a tool for burglary or fire. Bringing your bin back in promptly will help prevent this
- Please make sure your bin is presented safely, and it does not cause an obstruction
- Please place the bin by the kerbside of your home or at the agreed point